Passionate about conservation? Love to write? Apply to be our program support intern this summer! This intern plays a vital role at INHF by writing grants that will provide funding for on-the-ground land conservation.
The application deadline is Wednesday, March 18, 2015.
- Researching and writing grant proposals to fund land protection
- Write occasional blog posts
- Help facilitate events
- Provide other general program support
There is a certain degree of flexibility outside the internship’s grant writing core, and we encourage candidates to make the position their own. The program introduces interns to many leading members of Iowa’s conservation community.
- Grant writing for Stone State Park additions
- Grant writing for the protection of Loess Hills, Upper Iowa River and Wabash Trace Nature Trail
- Assisting with planning INHF events and seminars
What we’re looking for:
- Must have very strong writing skills
- Be comfortable working independently
- Undergrad OR grad student
- GIS/ArcView experience (not necessary, but a big plus)
In the past, we’ve hired English majors (especially those with grant-writing experience) with environmental interest and students from environmental and planning fields who have strong communication skills. Applicants must submit writing samples, published or unpublished.
Availability and compensation:
- 15 hours/week during the school year
- Full time in the summer
- Paid position at $9.50/hour
There is a preference for applicants who can take the position for more than one semester, but one-semester applicants will also be considered.
How to apply:
Application should include the following:
- Cover letter outlining your qualifications and why you want this position.
- 1-3 writing samples (both published samples and classroom work are accepted).
- College transcripts (official or unofficial).
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one being written by a professor in your major. The letters may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
Mail or email your application to the address below. You can call or email in advance if you have questions.
Andrea Piekarczyk Program & Development Assistant Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation 505 Fifth Avenue, Suite 444 Des Moines, IA 50309-2321
Phone: 515-288-1846, ext. 28 Email: email@example.com
Reminder: The deadline to apply is March 18, 2015.